Monday, August 9, 2010

MOMMY MOMENT MONDAY

Potty Training......YUK! I have been dreading this since she was born. LOL! I really just have been putting it off because MOMMY isn't ready. But it's about time. Morgan is infatuated with the potty, her potty books, her baby's potty, etc. Plus, she really doesn't like to have her diaper changed anymore. She is showing me it's time to start....I'm just dragging my feet. The other day when I was changing her she was squirming and trying to get up. Finally she looked at me and said, "Bye, Bye diaper. Hello potty." (This is in one of her potty books.) Okay. Message received loud and clear! This week I have been setting her on our big potty (with her little toddler seat on top) each time I change her diaper. If I forget, she says, "Go potty on Mommy potty." The other day she shocked me by pulling off some toilet paper and actually wiping herself (even though she hadn't actually gone potty)! Then, she said, "All done. Flush potty." So, I helped her down, and she went right over and flushed that potty, sure thing! And then, she went to her stool at the sink and said, "Need to wash hands now." Okay, that did it. I decided I had better get in gear and strike while the iron is hot! She has obviously taken notice of what I do when I use the bathroom, and she is showing so much interest. Now, my job is to figure out the best method / way to go about this. I have talked to a few people who all had different methods. I'm so nervous! Any suggestions??????? (Oh, and she is still in her crib at the moment....I know. Something else I need to get moving on. But how does that work at night and naps, then? Should I start with moving her to a toddler bed first or doesn't that matter? I don't want to throw too many new things at her at once, though .....in other words, I don't think it'd be good to work on potty training AND go to a toddler bed all at once, would it?)

4 comments:

The Lindell Family said...

Wow, it sounds like she's excited about it! That should make your job easier! :)

With both boys we started with daytime potty training. Even when they were fully potty trained, they still wore diapers for naps and nights. (Adrian actually is still in a diaper for nights/naps.) Jackson eventually started waking up dry on his own. After about a week of being dry we let him switch to underwear and he never looked back.

All that to say that you could probably start potty training Morgan even though she's still in a crib because it could still be a while before she starts staying dry at night.

You can do it! :) You'll love not having to lug a diaper bag around!

Heather S. said...

Not to discourage you - but potty training is my LEAST favorite thing so far!! Blah!

With that said, I would also just worry about potty training her during the day. Taking her out of the crib and potty training all at the same time might be a little much. Seriously, if my girls didn't need to be in a bigger bed, I would have kept them in the crib longer. My plan is to keep Daphne in her crib for quite a while longer!! Although, she will be my one who climbs out - I'm sure of it!

Anyway, I also wouldn't worry about night time potty training until she starts waking up dry.

Good luck!!

Jason, Kate and Tait Miller said...

Amen to the above... Switched to pull up first so that he would feel like he had undies on... kept those on during naps and nighttime. Then as he got better with control I put undies on him during nap. It was a good month of dry pull ups at night before I switched to undies because I didn't feel like changing sheets in the middle of the night. This was definitely something I dreaded but was a piece of cake. I think we make it tougher because we want our kids to be our babies forever! YOU CAN DO IT! Brittany is right... no diaper bad is the most freeing feeling!

Jared, Lana, Morgan, and Kelsey said...

Thanks for all your tips and help. I plan to start on Monday, so we'll see!