Thursday, August 12, 2010

AND THE VERDICT IS.....YUM!

Morgan got her first taste of cheese today! Yep, you heard right...dairy! We got back the results of her bloodwork from last week, and according to the test results, she has no traceable signs of a milk allergy anymore! YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, the allergist and specialist reminded us that "traceable" is the key word. They both said that just because the test showed it being gone, that doesn't mean her body is ready yet to fully embrace dairy. BUT, last year at this time, the "markers" were 1.24 (whatever that means.....I really don't know!), and now they are "not traceable," so in my mind, that is a big accomplishment! We are supposed to ease into it very slowly, giving her a couple bites of cheese for a few days, then a bit of yogurt, then increase the amounts a bit, then we can start introducing actual cow's milk if all goes well. Then, after a few weeks, we can stop reading labels and ...... oh, I see a whole new world opening up for her...and us! Okay, I can't jump ahead. We still have a long road to go. Remember, she doesn't have immediate reactions to the milk. Her reactions are delayed and can be very subtle and easy to miss. SO, this could take awhile. Plus, who is to say that she will like drinking milk? She LOVES her specialized Neocate that we call her "milk," so she may not want to switch. But .... we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

I only gave her a few bites of cheese as the doctor said, and she immediately said, "Mo cheese pease!" She was a bit upset when I wouldn't give her any more. Well, at least she likes it! :)
Another first for her today was getting to eat a cookie! Jared wanted me to make cookies, but I didn't have any chocolate chips, so I used a bag of white chocolate chips I had and made chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips instead. As I was reading the recipe I realized that if I just used our "non dairy" butter for now, Morgan could have the cookies, too (minus the white chocolate chips). So, I made her a few cookies without the chips, and gave her one for dessert tonight. Oh my! A little bit of heaven for a girl who has had VERY LITTLE sweets in her life! LOL!

No comments: