Monday, August 30, 2010

MOMMY MOMENT MONDAY - OUT AND ABOUT

Morgan has always done pretty well running errands with me. She actually gets all excited when we go to CVS because she gets to "pull coupons from machine!" It's pretty funny that she recognizes and can say "CVS" and "Walgeens" about as easily as "McDonalds." When we go run errands, and I know I have to stop at like 3 or 4 places, I make sure to have something different for her at each place (at least if it will be longer than a 5 or 10 minute stop). For instance, she has a little "backpack" that she only gets to take on errands or if we have to go someplace that will require a wait, like a retaurant or the doctor's office. It has special stickers and books in it, as well as her My Little Ponies, some play jewelry, a mini magnadoodle, etc. This usually occupies her for one stop. Then, I will give her a snack in her snack cup and a drink at the next place. Then, at the next stop, I'll give her her "wallet." I made her her own little wallet one day after I got tired of her trying to pull everything out of mine. I got out one of my old wallets, and filled it with paper "money," little counting discs as coins in the coin part, and I put wallet sized pictures and old gift cards or those fake credit cards that sometimes come in the mail in it as well. She loves playing with her wallet while I shop. If I have to go somewhere else, I may give her some coupons that I dont' care about in a bag for her to pull out and play with. (She loves coupons!) As she gets older, I can hopefully have her help me find items I need, cross things off her own little grocery list, put things in the cart, add the numbers on the calculator, etc. But for now, this system works great for us. If anyone has any other suggestions or tips for how to occupy toddlers when "out and about" I'd love to hear them!

No comments: