Monday, August 16, 2010
MOMMY MOMENT MONDAY - POTTY TRAINING
Well, potty training has officially begun. Here's how we've been spending most of our day:
It's tiring. It's exhausting. It's yucky. It's rewarding. I am getting tired of being in the kitchen all day. But I think we're getting somewhere.....slowly. I put Gerber training undies on her first thing. We practiced with Baby. I showed her where to go and what to do when she had to go potty. She was excited about her big girl undies, and I could tell the minute she had to go. She could tell something was different. I let her drink LOTS to give her plenty of chances to go, and I set the timer for every 15 minutes to have her go sit on the potty. She never ever made it that long. So, I started doing shorter amounts. Nope. Never could make it. We went through 8 pairs of undies in just a little over an hour. So, I just stopped using the timer and just kept having her "check for dryness" every few minutes and setting her on the potty between each activity we did. It didn't take long before I was out of undies and had to throw them in the washer. So, I decided to just have her go without undies at all. She was getting good about saying, "Uh, oh. Potty" AS she was going on the floor. We'd rush to the potty and she could usually get a bit more out. Enough that we could cheer and she could see the results and clap for herself. I gave her small piece of Twizzler each time she got any in the potty. But when she had the undies on, she couldn't get over and pull them down in time to go. So, when I had her go without undies she was much more aware when she had to go and could just run over to her potty and sit down. She still had a few misses, but finally when we were eating lunch (picnic style on a towel on the floor while watching Dora), she got up twice on her own and went to her potty and said, "Go potty." The first time she didn't really go too much, but the second time, she finally did it! She got up, went and sat down, and went potty.....a lot! She was so excited, and we even called Grandma to tell her! I have been having her take it to dump out in the big potty and have her help me flush it, which she loves, too. So, anyway. She is napping now.....with a pull up on. I'm kinda not looking forward to days of this....being stuck in the kitchen all day when it is so nice outside. But I keep telling myself it is worth it. We'll be back at it as soon as she wakes up, so I'll keep you posted how it goes. I tell you, this is one of those Mommy Moments that is just not fun.....but necessary.
Edit: She did well after nap. She basically sat on the potty for most of the afternoon, content to just sit there and "read books." She went 2 or 3 times while she sat, and would smile and clap each time she did. She also came and sat on it and went on her own once when she was playing as well. I thought we were on a roll! Well, right when I start to get confident about things like this, God is always there to remind me of reality. Around 5:00 she suddenly got scared of going in the potty. I had to really work at getting her to sit on the potty. I could tell she had to go....BAD! But she wouldn't. She just sat there and cried and squirmed and said, "tummy hurt." It got to the point of her screaming, "NO, NO, NO!" over and over again. I finally stuck a pull up on her and decided to lay off a bit so I could focus on getting us both dinner because it was way past dinner time. It is almost 9:00 now and I can still hear her up there making noise and moving around. I'm sure she went as soon as I put a diaper on her and put her to bed, so I'm assuming I'll have to go back in and change her before she'll go to sleep. I'm exhausted, and I dread having to do it all over again tomorrow. Okay, yes, I'm complaining. I need to stop. It's only been one day for crying out loud, and I know we'll have ups and downs. I'm just wondering why oh why I decided to start this the week Jared went back to work and is gone every single night this week! What was I thinking?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Potty training is one of my least favorite things! But, when you finally leave the house without diapers and wipes or leave the store without having to purchase those items, it will be SO worth it!!
Post a Comment