Friday, August 13, 2010

FIX IT UP FRIDAY

My Fix it Up Friday is more of a Thrifty Thursday post, but you'll see later how it relates...

Here is what my kitchen looked like this morning after I got back from our subdivision's garage sales. This picture actually doesn't even do it justice. There is a lot of stuff hidden on the other side of the island, and the whole back side of the island is covered in stuff, too. I figured that I spent about $50 for it all, and that includes 3 pieces of "furniture" if you will.....plus, loads of clothes (a lot of them for me, which I hardly ever find....and most of them fit great! Yea!), lots of books, a new beautiful shower curtain for whenever we get our basement bathroom done, a small shelf to put in my laundry room, a second set of monitors (for taking on vacation or to use for the playroom in the basement when it gets done), some decorations, and lots more! So, anyway, here are my three favorite finds:

I have seen this Melissa and Doug magnetic responsibility chart on some blogs and sites and always wondered if it would be worth the price. Well, when you find it for $2, you might as well try it, right? (By the way, I usually snatch up any Melissa and Doug stuff I find at sales if it is in good condition and a decent price, because I LOVE their products, but they are pricey.)

I saw this table from my window at the house across the street, and made a beeline over there to get it. Why? It matches Morgan's new kitchen she got for her birthday! Morgan loves it, and I am super excited. Both will eventually go downstairs to the new playroom once Jared finishes up a few last things on the room.

And finally....... a cute white dresser for Morgan. Sometime here in the next year or so, we will move MJ to what is now the guest bedroom and make it into her "big girl room." I already have a really cute toddler bed and mattress that I got at a garage sale (for only $20 bucks for both!), and I am on the hunt for other pieces to put in her room eventually. I don't want to have to buy brand new furniture if I don't have to, so when I see something that I can use, I snatch it up....even though Jared doesn't get why I buy things we don't need at the moment. But he'll be glad in a year when we go to set up her new room that we don't have to go out and buy all new furniture. What I love about this dresser is that it is already white, so I won't have to paint it. (I want to do white in her room.) Plus, aren't those little bluish/gray flower knobs so cute? I think I will try to find bedding to match and paint the walls a bluish / gray, and add white curtains with hopefully matching bluish / gray flowers hot glued to it....I know that sounds wierd, but I saw a very cute tutorial on this....

Oh, and I wanted to throw in a helpful fix it up tip: Become friends with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers!!!!! Some of the stuff that I bought (including the dresser and little table), had marks on them or were really dirty, but yes, I bought them anyway knowing my magic eraser would do the trick. And it did! Just a before and after to help you see how great it is. I couldn't get this sticky stuff off very well with just a wet rag...
But my magic eraser did the trick! (I use the extra power kind.)


Anway, that's how this post relates to Fix It Up Friday..... because all this stuff will help to "fix up" our house (sort of) eventually. Yea! And all for under $50!

No comments: