Monday, July 19, 2010

MOMMY MOMENT MONDAY

Okay, have you ever had something happen right before your eyes that seems to go in slow motion and you are powerless to stop it? Well, my Mommy Moment this week wasn't a happy moment for me. Morgan fell down the stairs.....and I was even standing right there! Oh the guilt! Please tell me I'm not the only one who stood there and watched my child take a head dive down the stairs, flipping over and landing with a thud at the bottom without being able to do anything about it except scream? (sigh....the memory of it still haunts me.)

Morgan and I were heading down the stairs (thank goodness they were carpeted) to do our "schooltime," and Jared was heading up the stairs with a paint brush in his hand. Now, Morgan is getting really good about walking up and down stairs by herself while she holds on to the railing or the wall. I am still always sure to be right there a step ahead of her with an arm out just in case, though. Well, Jared said something to me (I don't even remember what), and I paused to turn and look at him. Morgan kept on going, though, and chose at that moment while my head was turned to take too big of a step and miss the next step down. Right before my eyes she rolled and flipped down about 6 steps and (thankfully) landed on her tummy at the bottom on the hardwood facing up the stairs with her head resting on the first step. I can't imagine what the result would have been had she not flipped at the last minute and landed hard on her head instead. It was the worst feeling to see it happen and not be able to reach her fast enough to stop it. I sat holding her carefully at the bottom, crying right along with her at the guilt I was feeling for failing her as a mom.

But within 2 or 3 minutes, despite a busted up lip and a black eye (from landing with her face on the first step), she wanted off my lap and proclaimed she wanted to go do schooltime. Within a few minutes she was acting as if nothing ever happened. We called the doctor anyway, and they went over a whole bunch of questions with us. We ended up just having to monitor her and wake her in the middle of the night every four hours, but all is okay.....thank goodness! And she still continues to go down the stairs without issues.....I thought she'd be scared to try again. When she gets to that spot, she'll tell me, "Don't fall. Boom. Boom." But it hasn't stopped her one bit.

Whew. What a scare. But I am sure it won't be our last as parents....unfortunately.

1 comment:

Heather S. said...

I am so sorry this happened - but I think it happens to most children. I distinctly remember Norah and Lucy falling down the stairs. I think I am extra cautious with Daphne - but it may happen to her too!! Try not to feel guilty - things like that happen sometimes.