Thursday, September 9, 2010
FIRE! FIRE!.....or MAYBE NOT?
The other night I woke up at 1:40 to the fire alarm, but just as I was jumping out of bed, it stopped. I looked over and Jared was still sound asleep. Interesting.....Did I dream it? Was I going crazy? I stood by the bed a few minutes trying to decide what to do and when it remained quiet and I didn't smell smoke, I began to think I had dreamt it and I crawled back in bed. Ten minutes later, same thing, and again, it stopped. Still, Jared slept. (Although it WAS just the downstairs one that was going off, not the one in our room, which was odd, too, since all the smoke detectors are wired to go off in the whole house if one does.) Anyway, this time I woke him up and he told me to go check it out. LOL. Thanks, Hon. Anyway, I checked the house and all seemed fine, so I reluctantly crawled back in bed, only to be up again 5 minutes later when it did the SAME thing. This time we both got up and went in search of the smoke detector manuals. Low battery? No. If that was the case, it would just chirp every minute according to the manual. As we were reading, it happens a FOURTH time, only this time, it sets off ALL the smoke detectors in the house, and this time it does not stop. Okay, here's me: Running to get decent clothes on, running to get Morgan. Here's Jared: Gets a chair to try to silence the alarm. Okay, yeah. I'm thinking... Must really be smoke somewhere, let's get out. Jared's thinking it's annoying and trying to make it stop. Except pushing the false alarm override isn't stopping it, and our ears are ringing. The manuals had said if you try to silence it but the alarm still sounds anyway, then there is imminent danger. So, I'm thinking the worst. Morgan isn't even crying, just wide eyed and spooked. We go downstairs, Jared still tries to make it stop. I'm telling him maybe we should get out of the house, he's saying, "Lana, do you SEE a fire? Do you SMELL smoke?" Okay, no, but..... What if it is in the attic, the walls, something? (He goes to check the attic..... I'm like, okay, if there IS something in the attic, you're going to go up right into it. Real smart. Anyway, to make a LONG story short, Morgan and I went outside if for no other reason than to get away from the loud alarms, where she sees the stars in the sky and starts singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" really loud......at 2:30 in the morning. Jared is in the house trying and trying to make them stop with no luck. Finally after about 15 minutes they stop on their own. But now the main floor detector starts beeping. We change the battery, still continuous beeping. Jared finally unhooks the whole thing from the ceiling so we can go to sleep. I was still on edge thinking we should call someone or SOMEthing. But..... Luckily, Morgan went right back to sleep okay after an hour of being jolted awake in the middle of the night. I thought she'd be freaked out. Nope. Right back to sleep. In fact, she has slept great ever since, even naps finally again! Weird. Anyway, still don't know what was going on. Jared thinks maybe it's a faulty detector. I sure hope we get it figured out soon, though, because it makes me nervous......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment