Tuesday, August 11, 2009

NO MORE BOTTLE! (AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS)

I am officially done with all my bottles. Mommy is so proud of me! She started transitioning me to a sippy cup about a month ago during the day. That was no big deal, really, much to Mommy's surprise. I was never really super attached to my bottles in and of themselves. As long as I got my food, I wasn't so concerned that it came from a bottle. So, once I mastered the sippy cup, and Mommy began giving me my formula from a cup instead at mealtimes, it was not a big deal. (I haven't been able to switch fully to milk yet due to my allergies, though our trial with milk has been going well, so we'll see.) Mommy was/is a fan of the Babywise method of eat/wake/sleep, where I had my bottle, then had waketime, and THEN went to sleep. So I never really got attached to having my bottles before naps, and therefore, never got used to that as a sleep aide to go to sleep. So, in essence, my daytime formula was really just a switch in how it was delivered as well as a gradual decrease in how much I was taking as well. I didn't even miss my bottles as long as I had something to drink. However, my last bottle at bedtime was the only bottle I drank before going to sleep, so Mommy figured it'd be the hardest to "drop," since it really was the only one I literally had to "drop" or "go without." (Though I do get a small cup of milk before my bath still for now.) Finally after we got settled again after vacation, Mommy started "tweaking" my bedtime routine a bit to add reading a few books, and she noticed that I wasn't eager for my bottle after bath, though I'd still drink it. So, the other night, I had a cup of milk, took my bath, got on my pj's, brushed my teeth, read books with Mommy in my rocking chair, said our nightly "Who Loves Baby Morgan" mantra that Mommy made up, said our prayers, and went to bed. I did whimper a bit when Mommy laid me down when I realized that I hadn't had my bottle, but it didn't last long at all. Tonight was the same routine and I didn't cry at all! Yea! Mommy is SO happy that she doesn't have to wash bottles anymore. Now if we can just get away from having to mix formula and just go to straight milk, that would be great!

I also had my one year doctor appointment today. I'm doing great! I am now 30 3/4 inches long and 22 lbs. 2 oz. I have gone from being in the 90th percentile (or around there) for weight and in the 86th (or something like that) for height to 89th for height and 69th for weight. But the doctor wasn't worried about the drop in weight percentile as she is still gaining weight overall. And as the doctor explained, she is just starting to grow more up instead of out now. :) Mommy and Daddy still don't know exactly where my height comes from......

I have added a few words to my vocabulary. I can say "Daddy" very clearly now, and know exactly what it means and how to use it. It melts Daddy's heart when I smile at him when he comes home and I say "Daddy!" or "Hi, Daddy!" Sometimes I wake up from my naps and cock my head and ask, "Daddy?" Mommy says he is at a place called "work"...... Hmmmmm. He sure is there a lot. :) I also love my baths and have now started saying "ba" when Mommy says it's bathtime. I usually "chant" it all the way up the stairs. (Interesting that I say "ba" for bath since I typcially say the endings of words...) Now that I have a new baby doll that Grandma Faith gave me for my birthday, and now that Grandma Joy got out a couple baby dolls for me to play with at her house, I have started saying "baby" as well. In terms of sign language, I sign "please" now on a regular basis (especially if I want more toast!), and I just did "thank you" today for the first time after watching Mommy and Daddy do it often. We are working on kitty, birdie, and drink, though those are a bit harder.

Mommy has started to implement more of a definite schedule to my days, and I am really liking it. I have always been on a pretty good schedule for eating and naps, but now we have other set times in our day where we have structured play, free play, blanket time, Bible time, and Mommy and Me Time to name just a few. Each "segment" lasts anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes, and I really enjoy the variety in my day instead of just trying to keep myself entertained all day. Of course there are days when we don't follow our schedule so much, like today when we went to Grandma's or when I have doctor appointments or shots....yuk! Or sometimes we go swimming instead. But all in all, I really enjoy our schedule, and I have been much less likely to find trouble to get into. Mommy says you can tell she is a teacher going through withdrawal at Back to School time. :) But she really loves it too, as she is used to routines and schedules being a teacher. She says she really is still a teacher, just at home now and with only one student. :)

No comments: