With that being said, we started sleep training last week, and she is doing great at going down for naps on her own and sleeping well (when her tummy isn't bothering her, that is). We have a short naptime (and a bedtime) routine that she is used to now, and I put her down drowsy but not asleep. For the most part, she then puts herself completely to sleep on her own. (Every once in awhile I have to go back in to pat her tummy or put her paci back in, but that usually does the trick.) Her typical waketime between naps which includes feeding and then "play" (which consists simply of looking around and interacting with her environment at the moment) is about 45 minutes or so. Unlike Morgan, Kelsey is pretty good at giving sleep cues, such as yawning, fidgeting, staring, and whimpering. If I can catch her by the 2nd yawn and before the whimpering, she usually goes down relatively easily. Also, the last three nights she has only had one middle of the night feeding (aside from the 10:30 dreamfeed) anywhere from 2:30 to 3:30 and then gets up around 6:45 or 7:00. Now, granted, it took me a bit to realize that when I would hear her in the middle of the night (around 1 and around 4) not to assume she was awake and wanting to eat. I stood by her crib and watched her the other night and realized that she was making noise and seemed to be stirring (which I had always assumed meant she was waking up and wanting to eat), but that really she still had her eyes closed asleep and was not showing any hunger cues like fists in her mouth or sucking motions or trying to wriggle her hands out of her swaddle. She was simply stirring (a LOT) in her sleep and sometimes making grunting or other such noises, but she wasn't totally awake. So, after realizing this, I began putting the paci in or reswaddling her and she would stay asleep for another hour or two or fall back into a deeper sleep again. I did the same thing when I heard her around 5:30 or so. The first couple nights I did this, she went until 2:30, then 6:45, and last night she held out until 3:30, then 7:00. With her reflux issues seeming to be flaring up again, though, we'll see if this continues because she has had some rough naps today due to her tummy hurting.
Morgan continues to adore her baby sister, and now that we are able to do a bit more of our regular "routine" on most days, it has helped somewhat with her behavior. Jared goes back to work full time again next week, though, and I'm pretty nervous about that, seeing as his job keeps him tied up most nights of the week and lots of Saturdays. I'm not sure I am totally ready for that yet, but I guess I have no choice, huh? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment