Sunday, July 17, 2011

SISTERS (AND OTHER RANDOM THOUGHTS)

Well, life is sure different around here these days. And it's taking me awhile to get used to that. Morgan and I had a pretty good routine going, and our days were filled with what I call "flexible predictability." But all that has changed, and nothing is predictable or routine anymore. My OCDish personality is having a hard time adjusting to that. I've also been fighting a bit of the baby blues on top of that, so each day I just have to pray for God's strength to get me through.

Little Kelsey is also a rather fussy baby (we think due to reflux issues like Morgan had), and our sleep at night is very ..... sparse. It's also been hard getting used to the fact that Kelsey is a VERY NOISY sleeper. Morgan was such a sound sleeper that we were constantly checking to make sure she was actually breathing. Kelsey makes all kinds of noises when she sleeps, and even in a swaddle, she is constantly moving and kicking about. At first I was frustrated with her noises and movements that I'd hear until I would check on her and realize that she indeed was asleep! Her mornings are pretty good these days and rather "predictable," but come afternoon, the "witching hourS" begin. :)

As we've been watching her closely for the reflux and such, some things I have noticed that are just like Morgan: She gets the hiccups ALL the time, she reswallows or "gulps" all the time, and she just does NOT like to burp! But there are quite a few things that are different than Morgan, too: Kelsey hardly ever spits up, whereas Morgan pretty much wore a bib around her neck for the first 9 months of her life. Also, Kelsey hasn't shown any signs of baby acne, excema, cradle cap, diaper rash, etc. Her skin does not seem to be super sensitive like Morgan's was (which was a mild sign of her milk allergy, I'm sure.) Kelsey has LOTS of really wet diapers, but she only has a messy diaper about every other day or so. Remember Morgan had about 10 very loose stools a DAY? So, anyway, we are encouraged right now that there doesn't seem to be the signs of a milk allergy at all.

Jared and I went to a wedding last night (thanks Grandma and Grandpa for babysitting!), which was my first real big "outing" since Kelsey was born. It was nice to get away for a bit (since Kelsey is basically bottle fed, it's easier for us to leave her with my parents). However, I have to say that I was sure tired and sore when we got home. Anyway, as I sat and listened to the maid of honor (the bride's younger sister) give the toast at the reception, I had tears in my eyes as I thought, "I sure hope my girls will be close sisters and best friends like that one day." When the days get long and I feel overwhelmed, I will think of that toast and the fact that my two precious girls will have each other for the rest of their lives as sisters, best friends, and playmates.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Such sweet little girls. I never had a sister and I felt the same way when I had two girls. They are blessed to have each other. I continue to pray for your precious family as you adjust to life of a Mommy with two.