WEIGHT / STATS
Kelsey weighs 13 lbs. 14 oz. and is almost 25 inches long. She gained almost a pound in two weeks.
REFLUX
Well, things got pretty bad for Kelsey around 11 weeks or so. She started vomitting all the time and had diarrhea 3-5 times a day. She also started refusing to eat. Not just not eating much, but actually refusing. There were some days I could only get 11 oz or so in her for the whole day! We saw a GI specialist on Sept. 15 and came away a bit frustrated. He told us to LOWER her medicine and to add even more rice cereal to her bottles. (Which I am NOT doing, because I have a real problem with that.) I was starting to suspect a milk allergy with her latest symptoms and brought that up. He let us try the Elecare formula (the expensive stuff for allergy babies which is equivalent to the Neocate Morgan was on) but didn't seem convinced that was really it. Well, within 24 hours of putting her on the new formula, her vomitting and diarrhea stopped, and she started eating better. So, when we went back this week (and saw the Nurse Practitioner this time that we saw with Morgan - and LOVED) she basically said we could assume a milk allergy and proceed as such. Her reflux has good and bad days, and on the bad days she still doesn't eat all that much, she gags and gulps, and sleeps poorly during the day. But on her good days, she is pretty happy and eats well.
SLEEPING
We've had a HUGE accomplishment this last week! One day when she ate particularly well, I decided to try and drop the dreamfeed cold turkey, as I felt it was disrupting her night time sleep. Well, from that night on (at around 12 weeks old) she started sleeping through the night from 8:00 to 6:45 or so. Even on the days when she doesn't eat very well and I am sure she will be up in the middle of the night, she surprises me and still sleeps through til morning. I kinda expected her to do it one night and not the next and back and forth for awhile, but it's been a week now, and she continues to sleep through, so hopefully this will be her pattern from now on. She is currently taking a great first nap of the day (about 2-2.5 hours), but for the other naps of the day, she is still waking after 45 minutes. Very frustrating. Sometimes I can get her back to sleep, and other times I cannot.
EATING
After switching her to Elecare, she started eating much better. She doesn't always eat a lot, but she doesn't fight it like she used to, and she is much more calm and not as squirmy and agitated. She eats between 15-18 oz. a day, which is usually 3 to 4 oz. each feeding (sometimes only 2). She has only 5 feedings now since we dropped the dream feed, so I feel like she should be eating more at each one, but.... I guess I can't force her, and if she seems content with what she is eating and sleeps fine through the night on that much, then it must be all her tummy needs. She is still getting rice cereal in her bottle to thicken it as well, so I have to keep reminding myself that that adds calories, too.
SCHEDULE
We have tweaked her schedule just a bit now that she is sleeping through the night. Also, I stretched it at times to 3.5 hours so she'll eat better. If she were napping better in the p.m. I'd go ahead and move her to a four hour schedule, but her max waketime is 1.5 hours (which is an improvement in the last few weeks), and I don't think she'd be able to go 2 hours awake without getting overtired, and aside from her first nap of the day, she hasn't shown that she could sleep 2 hour naps the rest of the day. But in the next month or so, I hope to work up to that four hour schedule. Here is our current schedule (or at least what we aim for):
7:00 - Wake up / get Prevacid / Eat
7:30 - Waketime Activity (We get Morgan up and dressed, Bouncy Seat in kitchen while I make breakfast for Morgan)
8:30 - Nap
10:30 - Eat
11:00 - Waketime Activity (Playpen, Swing)
12:00 - Nap
2:00 - Eat
2:30 - Waketime Activity (Read books in Mommy's lap, blanket time on floor)
3:30 - Nap
5:00 - Eat
5:30 - Waketime Activity (Tummy time on playmat, Bjorn carrier while I fix dinner)
6:30 - Catnap
7:15 - Wake, get Prevacid, short time in swing, Bath, get ready for bed
7:45 or 8:00 - Eat, then Bedtime
MILESTONES
Kelsey is really getting a little personality lately. She "talks" and laughs and coos all the time. Also, she has definitely found her hands and has them in her mouth ALL the time. She follows people around the room with her eyes, and she can also grab at toys now. She tries to sit up when she is laying inclined on her boppy or on my legs, and she can sit in the bumbo now with a little support. She is definitely starting to get to that really fun stage.
No comments:
Post a Comment